What is Astronomy Day in Schools?
“Astronomy Day in Schools” (ADiS) was started as an IAU100 Global Project. This project is aimed to share educational practices from around the world and to support teachers. In particular, sharing records and resources especially those related to equinoxes and solstice, and astronomical phenomena.
Why solstices and equinoxes?
Equinoxes and solstices are not only has astronomical significance around the world, they are also important phenomena in the history of science, and are connected to cultural events in various regions, making them suitable subjects for educational practice that combines science, history, culture, and STEAM education incorporating measurement and calculation activities.
Who are the organizer?
ADiS is organised by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) Comission C1 on Astronomy Education and Development. The IAU is the international astronomical organisation that brings together more than 12 000 active professional astronomers from more than 100 countries worldwide. Founded in 1919, the IAU is the world’s largest professional body for astronomers.
How Can I Join?
- Register for the event to highlight your contribution through the ADiS registration page
- Submit video recordings of no more than a few minutes. If possible, please provide a transcription. This will allow viewers to translate the video into various languages and add subtitles.
What is the Format of the Activities?
You can decide what kind of activities to organize. Some suggestions include lectures, workshops, but you can also be creative, and suggest other kinds of activities. The resources section on the ADiS website may also provide you with some ideas.
Does it have to be Organised exactly on the date of the Equinoxes and Solstices?
No. It is flexible.
What will the collected videos be used for?
- The collected videos will be used during live streaming program by IAU.
- The collected materials will be summarized in an e-Book which is currently in development by the organiser.
- The materials will contribute to the improvement of teaching and learning around the world and help promote communication and friendship across borders.
Registration, Video Submission & More Info about ADiS:
The official website of the ADiS: https://adis.narit.or.th/