Opening and Welcome Speech
By Hj Abdul Aziz bin Haji Akop, Naib Yang Dipertua (Vice President), The Astronomical Society of Brunei Darussalam (PABD) at the First Asteroid Hunting Training
for Brunei Darussalam jointly organised by PABD & NASO
on Friday, September 24, 2021
Assalamu’alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
Alhamdulillah Rabbil ‘Alameen, Wabihiee Nasta’eenu ‘Alaa Umuuriddunya Wadden, Wassalaatu’ Wassalaamu ‘Ala Asyrafil Mursaleen, Sayyidina Muhammaddin, Wa’alaa Aalihee Wasahbihee Ajma’een
Our Respected Mr Suresh Bhattarai, Chairman of Nepal Astronomical Society (NASO),
Notable Mr Hazarry bin Haji Ali Ahmad, Secretary-General of the Astronomical Society of Brunei Darussalam (PABD),
My fellow Executive Committee of PABD,
Energetic NASO mentors,
Ladies and Gentlemen;
- It gives me a great pleasure to welcome all of you to this evening first Asteroid Hunting workshop jointly organized by the Nepal Astronomical Society (NASO) and Astronomical Society of Brunei Darussalam (PABD).
- Firstly, thank you NASO for your continuous support. This session is our first monumental step in our long partnership (MoU) journey.
- This workshop will provide us not only essential knowledge in searching space rocks but also a great opportunity to share experiences and success stories of Nepal quest in asteroid discoveries from our facilitator and young mentors. We hope that everyone will gain new insights, knowledge and skills in your most loved passion – astronomy.
- Now, PABD is gearing for another biggest national campaign in Asteroid Hunting under the guidance of our dear Nepal family NASO, in particular Mr Suresh, and the International Astronomical Search Collaboration (IASC). In August last month, we are very lucky that three of PABD members (Qawiem, Sonny, Hazary) were trained by NASO, and now they are involved in Nepal campaign. In October, we will see them in the first Brunei participation in the International Asteroid Search Campaign.
- We are so fortunate, that after discussion with NASO, all PABD and participants today will have their chance to taste real asteroid huntings in October campaign next month by NASO. Thank you Mr Suresh for giving this opportunity.
- We are targeting, InshaAllah, the first All Brunei Darussalam Asteroid Search campaign to be launched in early next year, January 2022. And this 2-day training will be your bridge in your road of searching your first asteroid.
- After this training, I hope that you will encourage more of family members, your little brother and sister, and friends to become Bruneian Citizen Scientists, and also to actively join our Brunei Search campaign that will run annually starting next year.
- I like to announce a good news that all of you will be in the first group to represent 10 Bruneian teams in our Asteroid Search campaign in collaboration with IASC which is expected in February-March 2022.
- Finally, I wish to thank our partner NASO for making this brilliant training happening. I would also like to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to our project management, Bazillah and team, for your great effort in the planning to ensure the successful implementation of our Citizen Science programme.
- Most importantly, to all participants, it will be a very long 6 hours of hard work to learn in this course, but it will pay off forever! I am proud that you are our first Brunei’s asteroid hunters. So please enjoy tonight’s workshop! We hope for dozens of new asteroid discoveries soon and to unlock your personal achievement, and make proud of our beloved country Brunei Darussalam.
Good luck and Happy hunting!
Wabillahit Taufeq Walhidayah, Wassalamu ‘Alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.