Bandar Seri Begawan – The Astronomical Society of Brunei Darussalam organized a solar observation to promote astronomy and educate members of the public on Tuesday (11 September 2018) morning.
Astronomy enthusiasts gathered at the car park of the International Convention Centre in Berakas from 10 am to 1 p.m. to view the Sun through solar filters. The event was the first time in Brunei being organized for the public that employed the use of a special Hydrogen Alpha-telescope, which makes solar prominences and flares observable. Continue reading “PABD promotes astronomy, holds Solar Observation”
Bandar Seri Begawan – On May 28 every year, at 5:16 pm local Brunei time (09:16 UT), the sun will be precisely overhead (at Zenith) in Makkah and exactly above the Kaabah. At that instance, the Sun in other areas will be directly aligned to the direction of Kiblat.
This phenomenon known as “istiwa adzam” is useful as an easy Islamic astronomical method to determine the exact direction of prayers (Kiblat). Only half part of the world that receives the daylight can apply this method.
In a year, the sun will be directly above the Kaabah twice, on every 28th May at 5:16 pm and again on July 16th at 5:28 pm Brunei time.
Follow the following ways to check the Kiblat from your area:
1. You must use a straight objects such as a pole or side of the house. It must be vertical which must be checked with a weight tied to a thread (plumbline).
2. The object must not be in places under shade, such as under a tree or in the house. It must be placed in areas that receive direct sunlight, for example, in a spacious yard.
3. Exactly at 5:16 pm May 28, the shadow’s line produced by the sun is the Kiblat direction which is facing toward the sun.
1. Youmust usea straightobjectssuch asa poleorside ofthe house. It must beverticalby checkingwith weightstiedto athread(plumbline).
2. The objectmust not be in places under shade, for exampledo notput under thetree orin the house.However, it must be be placedin areas thatreceivedirectsunlight,for example, ina spaciousyard.
3. Exactlyat5:28pm July 16, the line shadow produced by thesun is the Kiblat direction which isfacing towardthe sun.
Join the Astronomical Society of Brunei Darussalam (PABD) and join a community passionate about astronomy education and making a difference in science literacy and Falak Syarie in Brunei Darussalam. The PABD welcomes all astronomy enthusiasts, scientists, students and educators from star gazers to explorers to participate in and support our mission via membership.
Sign up membership for annual fees as low as $5 for student and $15 for ordinary.